Thursday, July 3, 2008

The Southern Dialect; or, You Ain't From Around Here, Is Ya?

We Southerners have a unique way of talking. You know, colorful metaphors, colloquialisms, compound words that weren't meant to be compound words in proper English. And I'm pretty sure "ain't" is exclusively ours, along with "y'all" and "nairn." (Example: "Y'all ain't got nairn.") But make sure you place the apostrophe correctly in "y'all." It ain't "ya'll."

Lately, I've come to treasure the uniqueness of the Southern dialect. It seems to be disappearing, and I'm pretty sure it's because there's a sinister plan to make us all sound like newscasters. I mean, when was the last time you heard Brian Williams close NBC Nightly News with, "I reckon that's all for tonight. Y'all have a good'un."

I'm all about good grammar and whatnot – I am a journalist with a minor in English – but I can do without it in an informal setting. Talking like a Southerner means you're talking honestly, and the conversation feels authentic, even if it's small-talk. "Hey, fella." "Hey, what ya know good?" "Nothin'. How's ya mom and them?" "Fair to middlin'." See what I mean?

Some of my favorite Southern phrases:
• "I'm fixin' to tan your hide, boy!"
• "Now you're cookin' with grease!"
• "She's easy on the eyes."
• "Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's rainin'!"
• "A'ight." (All right)

Then there are phrases that I'm pretty sure no self-respecting Southerner has ever uttered, but Hollywood or someone has made up:
• "I do declare!"
• "Y'all come back now, ya hear?"
• "Possum on a gum bush!" (Enos, from Dukes of Hazzard)

Speaking of Hollywood, don't you hate it when they cast a non-Southern actor to play a Southerner? Ugh. I still haven't forgiven Susan Sarandon for Bull Durham (she's from New York). Now Reese Witherspoon, there's a true belle (New Orleans).

Anyway, enough of that rabbit trail. I just always try to make sure my words, both verbal and written, retain the richness of the Southern dialect. If I had my druthers, everyone would talk like me. But we ain't all perfect.

Today's Redneck Thought: "What in tarnation was he talkin' about?"

3 comments:

DukesBloops said...

Sonny Shroyer was born in Georgia. I don't remember where he came up with that phrase, "possum on a gum bush", but I think he did come up with it.

Jonathan

Brad Locke said...

Well, maybe I'll give him a pass on it then. Just never heard it anywhere else. Some of the Southernisms they say on Dukes seem a little forced – like Bo's "yeehaw!" – but they tried hard.

Unknown said...

My grandmother always said "Y'all come go with us!" whenever they left our house. Now my aunt says it whenever I see her. I think that is one of my favorite Southernisms.

Just for the record, Josh Lucas had a believable accent in "Sweet Home Alabama." Of course Reese did, too. The worst accent I can ever remember was Carroll O'Connor on "In the Heat of the Night." It has always been one of my pet peeves that they hire non-Southern actors to play Southerners, as if there aren't enough Southerners to fill the parts.