Saturday, May 3, 2008

Two Is Better Than One; or, Double Dog

We got a dog. Again.

Last week we acquired Rascal, a chow/shepherd mix. Then on Friday, we got Mackinaw (more on that in a moment), a.k.a. Mack, a yellow lab. He's much, much more docile than Rascal – and twice as big – but they took to each other immediately. Can't hardly separate them.

I'll be honest, they're not the kind of dogs we had in mind all those years. Rachel wanted a black lab, me a chocolate lab. It's a typical case of fantasy vs. reality, like when a guy imagines marrying the homecoming queen but winds up with a girl from St. Louis. And you then realize how lucky you are.

We love the dogs, and they love us, so I think it'll be a long, loving relationship. One with lots of poop-scooping, but still.

Oh, and the name Mackinaw? We were driving back from Chicago a couple of years ago and crossed the Mackinaw River. I liked the name and thought it would be a good dog name. I think it fits.

No comments: