Friday, May 2, 2008

Just a Trim; or, The Kindest Cut

There is something timeless about a barber shop. I don't mean those places like Supercuts, I mean places like the ones I grew up with. Sitting in one today feels just like it did then.

When I was living in Oxford as a child, my dad and I frequented Don & Dale's Barber Shop, which is still there and, I believe, still run by Don and Dale. I remember the smell and feel of the hot shaving cream on the back of my neck; dozens of magazines strewn about the chairs; Ole Miss wallpaper; sucking on a Sprite (in a green glass bottle, of course) as men talked about what men talk about in small towns.

Since I keep my head shaved, my wife is my barber, but now that I have a son, I've had the pleasure of reliving a part of my youth. I've found a good barber shop here in Tupelo, one that has magazines strewn about the chairs and is decorated with Ole Miss and Mississippi State paraphernalia (mostly the latter, I'm afraid).

I enjoy just sitting there as Drew gets his hair trimmed, as he did today. Men will walk in and exchange friendly greetings with the father and son proprietors, Bill and Dennis. The atmosphere is tinged with that subtle Southern charm that's harder and harder to find these days.

There is no old-fashioned Coke machine with glass bottles, though. I'll have to ask them about that.

Today's Redneck Moment: A young fella getting his hair cut today told of a recent fishing trip with his friend. Both were getting lots of nibbles but no bites. His friend, in frustration, grabbed his bow and arrow and "caught" a 7-pound bass.

No comments: